Current:Home > StocksRekubit-Drew Barrymore to return amid writer's strike. Which other daytime talk shows will follow? -Capitatum
Rekubit-Drew Barrymore to return amid writer's strike. Which other daytime talk shows will follow?
TrendPulse View
Date:2025-04-06 00:33:06
Drew Barrymore is Rekubitresuming her daytime talk show, even as the Hollywood writers' and actors' strikes show no signs of quick resolution.
New York-based Barrymore, who says she completed last season's episodes on April 20, two weeks before the Writers Guild of America strike began May 2, is back in action this week on new episodes, despite pulling out as host of the MTV Movie & TV Awards in May. Now, the syndicated "Jennifer Hudson Show" and CBS' "The Talk" are expected to resume production too, next week, say executives familiar with plans who declined to publicly confirm them.
"I own this choice," she wrote in an Instagram post Sunday, for a show "that may have my name on it, but this is bigger than just me," and will put a large production staff back to work, apparently as its star improvises without writers. The WGA announced plans to picket her studio on Manhattan's West 57 Street.
But not all talk shows are the same: Some have remained in production, while others, in both daytime and late night are expected to remain "dark" for the duration. (And "Jeopardy!," which employs WGA writers, will recycle old clues to remain on the air; the show's 40th season begins Monday.)
Here's a look at the status of some of the top talk-show players.
For 'The View,' 'Kelly and Mark' and 'Tamron Hall,' it's business as usual
ABC's female-led panel talk show and Disney's syndicated "Tamron" are produced by ABC's News division, which employs writers under a separate contract that's not affected of the strike. They will continue to produce new episodes. Similarly, Disney-owned "Live with Kelly and Mark" has aired through much of the summer: Its hosts chat off the cuff and do not employ striking workers. "Sherri Shepherd" next week also begins its second season; like the others, she doesn't employ WGA workers.
'Jennifer Hudson,' 'The Talk' went off the air, but are now planning a return
CBS' panel show "The Talk" and Warner Bros. syndicated show starring singer and actress Jennifer Hudson are planning to resume shows that shut down in May, as the WGA strike began, in the wake of Barrymore's move, said executives familiar with plans who were unauthorized to reveal them publicly. Both are expected to be back on the air next week.
'Kelly Clarkson,' planning move to New York, remains shuttered (for now)
No word on the status of NBC Universal's "Kelly Clarkson," whose return in complicated by a planned relocation from Los Angeles to New York amid complaints of a toxic workplace environment.
'Rachael Ray,' 'Dr. Phil' canceled
Rachael Ray and Phil McGraw's long-running daytime talk shows were canceled in May, amid a challenging ratings and advertising climate.
More strike questions, answeredGame shows, soaps and British actors: What TV will look like during the SAG actors strike
'SNL,' Kimmel, Fallon, Colbert and other late-night shows still shut down
NBC's "Saturday Night Live" remains shut down, and canceled three planned May shows as the strike began. Late-night talk shows, including ABC's "Jimmy Kimmel Live," NBC's "The Tonight Show starring Jimmy Fallon" and "Late Night with Seth Meyers," CBS' "Late Show with Stephen Colbert" and HBO's "Last Week Tonight with John Oliver" all remain off the air.
There is precedent for such shows returning amid a strike: In January 2008, during the last WGA strike, Jay Leno and Conan O'Brien resumed episodes without their writing staffs, as a way to keep other production staff members employed, while David Letterman and others signed separate agreements with the union that allowed their writers to continue working. But there is no sign of a similar movement this time around. Instead, the five major hosts have banded together to start a Spotify podcast, proceeds from which will go to their unemployed staffs.
Strike rules prevent actors from plugging most TV and movie projects
The strike by the Screen Actors Guild-American Federation of Radio and Television Artists (SAG-AFTRA) prohibits members from plugging any movies and TV shows produced under contracts with major studios, TV networks and streamers, on other TV shows or even on social media. The prohibition is especially crippling to the late-night shows (and publicists) who depend on the free promotion. As a result, talk shows that remain in production have been forced to pivot away from such celebrity interviews to avoid strike rules prohibiting such promotion.
What's at stake:Writers strike 2023 explained: Why the WGA walked out, what it means for TV and film
veryGood! (14283)
Related
- Mets have visions of grandeur, and a dynasty, with Juan Soto as major catalyst
- U.S. orders departure of non-emergency government personnel from Niger
- Bears, Yannick Ngakoue agree on 1-year, $10.5 million contract
- A dancer is fatally stabbed after a confrontation in New York, prompting a tribute from Beyoncé
- 'We're reborn!' Gazans express joy at returning home to north
- 'Mutant Mayhem' reboots the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, and does it well
- Why Tia Mowry Is Terrified to Date After Cory Hardrict Divorce
- Why has hiring stayed strong? States, cities are finally boosting pay and adding workers
- Person accused of accosting Rep. Nancy Mace at Capitol pleads not guilty to assault charge
- Trump drops motion seeking removal of Georgia DA probing efforts to overturn election
Ranking
- What to know about Tuesday’s US House primaries to replace Matt Gaetz and Mike Waltz
- Are time limits at restaurants a reasonable new trend or inhospitable experience? | Column
- Incandescent light bulbs are now banned in the United States—here's what to buy instead
- NFL Star Josh Allen Reacts to Being Photographed Making Out With Hailee Steinfeld
- John Galliano out at Maison Margiela, capping year of fashion designer musical chairs
- Hearts, brains and bones: Stolen body parts scandal stretches from Harvard to Kentucky
- A truck driver won $1M after announcing his retirement. He still put in his last 2 weeks.
- Underwhelming U.S. team slumps into Women’s World Cup knockout game against familiar foe
Recommendation
Have Dry, Sensitive Skin? You Need To Add These Gentle Skincare Products to Your Routine
Authorities identify another victim in Gilgo Beach serial killing investigation
Jonathan Majors' assault and harassment trial delayed shortly after he arrives in court
AP-Week in Pictures: July 28 - Aug. 3, 2023
In ‘Nickel Boys,’ striving for a new way to see
What jobs are most exposed to AI? Pew research reveals tasks more likely to be replaced.
Ciara Teams up With Gap and LoveShackFancy on a Limited-Edition Collection for Every Generation
Home on Long Island Sound in Greenwich, Connecticut sells for almost $139 million